1960s Crew Patch
USS REQUIN (SS-481/SSR-481) Virtual Tour
1960s Crew Patch

Forward Torpedo Room

REQUIN's forward torpedo room

The first stop on your tour of REQUIN is the forward torpedo room. Equipped with six torpedo tubes, up to eighteen men slept in this room (using a system known as hot-bunking, where one man going off watch would get into the bunk just vacated by a man going on watch), in between and on top of the ten spare torpedoes carried here. When REQUIN became a radar picket, the bottom two tubes, just barely visible at the bottom center of the top photo, were turned into storage lockers. When REQUIN was converted into a fleet snorkel in 1959, these two tubes were reactivated. The torpedo seen in the top photo was originally thought to be a Mark 14 torpedo when REQUIN first got to Pittsburgh, but when the paint was scraped off in 1994, it was found that the torpedo was a Mark 23 torpedo (and dated 1944), a slightly more advanced version of the Mark 14.


REQUIN's forward torpedo room

 

This photo shows the forward torpedo room from the hatch. The stairway seen in this photograph was put in when REQUIN became a Naval Reserve Training Ship in 1969. These stairs replaced the torpedo loading trunk. Most of the World War II submarines on display in the United States have these stairs, with the exception of the COD (SS-224), on display in Cleveland, Ohio.




Back
Home
Next


© 2014 by Jim Mandelblatt - Questions? Comments?? Email webmaster@ss481.com